Are you wondering about how to find an apartment in Charlotte, NC, that’s affordable, has all of the amenities you need, and is in a comfortable area of the city?
Here are our top apartment-hunting tips for those moving into the area. With so many options, it can be hard to find the exact listing that would be ideal, so here are some of the best ways to narrow your search. The perfect apartment is within your grasp; now is the time to get organized!
Image source: diytransport.com
Create a list of needs and wants.
Before you attempt to solve any problem, it’s important to visualize the solution. Create a list of what you’re hoping for using the following factors as guides.
- Neighborhood: The neighborhoods of Charlotte, North Carolina, have a hugely different look, feel, style, and especially price range. Before you start looking, you should have some idea of where to find apartments for rent that would be good for you. Some areas are posh and luxurious, while others are homey and comfortable. Use our online neighborhood guide if you’re unfamiliar with the area. Otherwise, tour some of the gorgeous areas of the city on foot and see what’s to your liking. This will narrow your search considerably. (Just remember that the average rent changes depending on which neighborhood you choose.)
- Commute Distance: This may be the simplest method for finding a good deal. Here’s how to find apartments for rent based on how far you’ll travel: Visit your place of work and ask yourself, "Where can I find an apartment near me?" Use a map or locator app to plot out where you’ll be working and then create a radius of how far you’d be willing to travel every day. Consider, too, the small public transportation system the city has to offer as well as the usually congested highways.(I-485 eastbound is often ranked as one of the worst commutes in the country.)
- Budget: Average rent and cost of living estimates range a great deal, but you can expect to pay around $1,019 per month for an average one-bedroom apartment in Charlotte. It’s wise to save up before you go. Your budget will dictate the size and the neighborhood and tighten your limits of where to find apartments for rent. Note that you could pay more than your neighbors due to fluctuations in the housing market.
- Types of Amenities: Beyond the number of rooms, take into consideration the amenities you’re hoping for. For instance, you may be looking for a hardwood floor, non-smoking buildings, or pet-friendly housing. All of this would continue to narrow your search.
- Style of Housing: Are you hoping for a cheap loft or a handsome duplex? Right now, converted mills and factories are all the rage in areas like NoDa, and there are also southern mansions that have whole floors you can rent.
- Roommate Requirements: If you’re hoping to spend more like $600 to $700 per month, it’s certainly possible in Charlotte, though sometimes, you may need to look outside of your desired radius. The other option is to find a roommate. Not having one is a luxury, but with the right rental agent, you may be able to find a room to rent in Charlotte without needing to get a roommate.
Compare what you want to what’s out there.
By now, you should have a fairly good list of needs and wants. For example, Sally is looking for a loft in NoDa for $750 per month, has pets, and is looking for roommates. Your list might be different or not as narrow, but it can give you a better idea of what to look for.
After this step of visualizing what you want, the next step is to look at reality. Using websites is usually how to find an apartment, though going on foot will often provide more opportunities.
Adjust and complete the cycle again.
More and more, renters in Charlotte are turning to rental agents to help them. A broker tends to have a better bond with local landlords and can filter through the bad listings one usually finds on free-for-all sites like Craigslist. A rental broker like Jumpshell can help you not only find a good apartment but the perfect apartment, and finding an apartment with us is easy!
As always, the experts at Jumpshell are here to help you find the perfect place. Contact a knowledgeable apartment-finder today.